Skip to main content

I, Robot

I'm not writing about the movie. Yes, there's a book and this is another post of Asimov's book recommendation.


This was one of the books that I bought randomly in a book sale. I saw the title and thought, why not? I've never watched the movie but I know that the book is different and the movie just uses the concepts of Asimov's Robot Laws.

I, Robot is a book with a collection of short stories (that are connected) about robots and human relationship. What makes the book different of another sci-fi robot genre, is the defined concept of machine behavior. The Robot Laws or the Three Laws of Robotics or Asimov's Laws is a set of laws that define how a robot must behave. The three laws are:
  1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.
In my opinion, what makes this book interesting is the way that Asimov play with the laws. Almost every story in the book has a plot putting the laws at the boundaries and centralizing the drama in human-robot relationship. There's even a career called "robopsychologist" that is a professional who treats the personalities and behavior of intelligent machines. The book is very short and is a great way to experience some of the Isaac Asimov's stories. 

R4D10 - 100

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books or Audio books? Both.

If you're following me, you know that this blog is a way that I'm using to improve my English writing skills. This was the fun way that I found to study a language and not get boring doing it. But, I need to improve the other skills, listening and speaking. Today, I'll write about a method to improve your listening skills. Mostly of the people say that read a book and listen to a podcast are a great way to improve your listening skills. They are right. However, generally podcasts are a casual conversation, the people that record it doesn't think about pronunciation, they've a limited vocabulary (as I do) and sometimes the accent isn't easy to understand. I know that are proper podcasts for English students, but IMO they aren't funny or even interesting. It was for those reasons that I tried to find something that I could combine read and listen in a fun way. This year I discovered the Audio books, I already know that they existed but it never interest

My 2018 Book List

In December of 2016 I bought an Amazon Kindle. It was great because I could read a bunch of books (some heavy ones) without have to carry them. However, in 2017 I read some books by random choice. I didn't have any goal on mind, I was just picking some books by friends recommendations and read them. This year I choose some books with a goal in mind! My 2018 Book List A book from each continent : North America: Boston:  A Gentleman in Moscow - Amor Towles South America: Brazil: Água Viva - Clarice Lispector Asia: Israel: Sapiens - Yuval Noah Harari Europe: Germany: The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka Africa: South Africa: Disgrace - John Maxwell Coetzee Oceania: New Zealand:  The Luminaries - Eleanor Catton Books to pimp my mind (finan, math, biology, phisics, etc) : Investimentos Inteligentes - Gustavo Cerbasi The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives - Leonard Mlodinow The Universe in a Nutshell - Stephen Hawking Dataclysm - Chris

Nightfall

Are you afraid of darkness? Can you imagine what could happen if you never saw the darkness before and make the first contact? Imagine if you live in a planet that have sunlight all the time, it is always bright and illuminated. A religion and even the scientists affirm that the darkness will come in a determined day. What will you do?  Kalgash is the planet that have six suns and all the people that live there didn't experiences Darkness in the past 2500 years. A group of scientists discover that one full eclipse will occurs in a short period of time and a religion found out in old scripts that the Darkness is coming by the will of Gods. There's people that don't believe in the darkness and those that are building security places to avoid the darkness. The author brings all this drama with a great story accompanied by sci-fi elements that makes Asimov write style unique. Nightfall is a sci-fi novel written by Isaac Asimov in 1941. It was voted as the best sci